Journal 9

A flipped classroom is a teaching style in which the teacher assigns students lectures at home and helps them work through practice problems in class. It allows for a more interactive and involved classroom, but it does have some disadvantages. I had one class in high school that was flipped, and often students would put off the lectures so they didn't reap the benefits of this teaching style because they were not listening to the assigned lectures and fulling engaging in the class. For those who do watch the lectures and take notes, flipped classrooms can be a great advantage because it allows the students to think about concepts and have time to think of helpful questions for the teacher. This in turn provides a deeper level of understanding for the students. My highschool chemistry teacher used YouTube to post her videos. A link to her channel can be found here. But I've always found Khan Academy to have the most helpful videos in any subject I've studied. A link to Khan Academy can be found here.

Open education, open content, and open source are beneficial for everyone. The "open" terms basically mean that they are free for students and teachers to further their education. It helps improve the access to educational information and tools to people. Open education allows people worldwide to collaborate, connect, and access knowledge freely. I found more information about open education here. As for open sources, those are the resources of which people can modify and share. Info on open source is linked here. Finally open content is simply content that has been created or designed without significant emphasis put on education initially.

While working on my PowerPoint assignments I realized how much I knew about navigating PowerPoint. I loved the more interactive side of the second assignment because it allowed more creativity. That being said, it did create a larger challenge which was ensuring all the hyperlinks worked properly and that there were no slides where my viewers would get stuck. This was the first completely non-linear PowerPoint I created so I made sure to check my links about 3 different times to ensure everything worked properly. But I really did enjoy creating both of them and was very happy with how they turned out.




Comments