Journal 5

Many Web 2.0 technologies are useful in getting students to engage with the topics their learning and getting them to understand topics on a deeper level. That being said I  definitely want to incorporate them into my classroom. As the podcast mentioned, Web 2.0 tools allow their users to communicate and interact with one another. I know some helpful ones I've always liked were YouTube, Skype, Google Docs, and now Diigo. I don't think I've encountered any Web 2.0 tools that I haven't found helpful or useful in some way. Because I plan on teaching elementary, I probably won't be using tools like Diigo or Twitter because it's not really geared towards younger kids. However, I most likely will still use them to make lesson plans.

A Web 2.0 tool that I'll most likely use in my future classroom is Storybird. It's an interactive story sharing site. It's kid friendly because you can create and share online created picture books. The site includes the ability to comment on books and interact with the authors. When writing your own story, Storybird gives you tools to design each page, including access to art that can help inspire the authors. The art and layout created in these online books also encourage readers and writers, especially younger ones, to participate in Storybird isn't limited to just stories though, it has a poetry app in addition called Lark.

As I was reading the textbook, I found the augmented reality to be the biggest technology advancement that holds the biggest promise for education. It seems a little similar to the virtual reality that's at the tech sandbox. But the augmented reality would allow for field trips inside of classrooms and more interactive games for kids to better understand the topics they're learning about. I definitely think it will change the ways teachers approach their lessons as well. Incorporating augmented reality can be a way to interest kids in the education they're being provided.

Comments

  1. Its a good point you make when saying that these augmented realities can be used as a field trip like experience for the kids. I'm certain that the students would enjoy learning about other places and locations through that reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Storybird but that sounds really cool and helpful in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said the same thing about the technologies I will use when teaching. I think the website you found is really cool, it looks like something I would use in a classroom, because getting a ton of picture books isn't always something you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get what you mean about not using Twitter in elementary school, but it's a great way to get in touch with other teachers if you need resources or advice. I also love virtual reality; I think it will definitely help kids learn in a more hands-on way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose storybird as well and I love the concept of it. It allows awesome creativity and interaction with students if you wanted to make a group project. I agree I would use it in my in my classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Storybird sounds like a really cool website! it is a great way to have story time for the whole class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journal 9