ILP #1

For my independent learning project I wanted to learn how to make infographics. I've used Piktochart before, but on Lynda.com they had a tutorial on how to create and edit an infographic with Adobe Illustrator. I've used Adobe Photoshop and InDesign before because of my old yearbook class, but I've never worked with Illustrator which prompted my curiosity of this tutorial.

When I began watching I was actually surprised at how much I didn't know about infographics. I learned that the majority of the infographic relies on pictures rather than words. The woman in the tutorial explained this by comparing a real infographic versus one that essentially looked like a PowerPoint slide. She explained that when she took away the words in the bad example, you couldn't understand what the major theme or what any information meant. However, when she took away the text in the good example, there was a clear theme and you could understand the concept of the infographic.

I was informed a lot about the different types of infographics and was introduced to infographics that are often used in videos or have animations, and interactive infographics that are found on websites. Throughout the tutorial I feel like I realized how much I didn't know about what infographics are, how to make them, and why they're effective. Though, after watching it, now I know that they are educational tools that catch the attention of their viewers by presenting information in an easily widely understood manner.

Towards the end of the Lynda video, I was presented a challenge on Adobe Illustrator that I was both excited and nervous to tackle. The challenge was to edit an infographic that was given to me based off the corrections given. Before I made any changes this is what the infographic looked like the following:


My instructions were to make the color scheme more appealing to women than to men, but not to the point where it's only appealing to women. I was also told to add a nicer header to the 3rd section and adjust the pie chart in that section as well. I had a little difficulty trying to make the header, but for the most part feel like I did a decent enough job. This was my finishing product:


The Lynda tutorial I watched was called Learning Infographic Design with Amy Balliett as the author. The whole tutorial was a little over an hour, but it took me about 20-30 mins to adjust the infographic and figure out how to use some Adobe Illustrator functions not explicitly stated in the video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal 9