Journal 3

When I went down the list of ELA technology standards I felt pretty strong about being able to do each skill myself. There was only one thing in particular I hadn't used before which was adding footnotes and endnotes to a document in the W/WHST.8 standard. Other than that I feel that I have a lot of background knowledge about all these aspects like creating and presenting assignments on various medias and being able to search for topics and filter out helpful and unhelpful information on the internet. I think my strong suit would be SL.5 since I've gotten used to making projects and doing assignments with the help of technology in a way that provides insight and supports my claims. I definitely feel that it would be difficult to teach very nitty gritty things like in class today how we learned about very small specific things regarding Word. I'd have to brush up on things like that because it's so easy to forget how to access tools when you're not constantly using that feature.

As I've mentioned before I want to teach elementary school, so I think the majority of my class's technology will come from iPads and tablets. However, I think exposing children to computers while using websites like Collaborize Classroom and ClassDojo as the text mentioned. I'd probably stray away from using social medias in class because it's so controversial at a young age. But, by teaching them more about digital citizenship and exposing the students to NetSmartz exposing them slowly to social media may help them learn to use technology in a responsible manner. As an elementary student myself I don't remember being exposed to the concept of digital citizenship and the responsibilities it holds. So, I would like to make sure to stress the importance of that to my future students so that they fully understand the responsibility of using the internet.

From the newsletter assignment I learned how difficult placing images can be within texts. I thought I was very familiar with this tool, but it took me a few tries before I really got a hang of placing the pictures and which text wrap I needed to use. I also realized that the version of Microsoft Word I have doesn't include a built in clipart search. After stressing over how to find images for my newsletter, I resorted to a website (Pixabay.com) that allowed me to search for creative common pictures available. I found this activity a lot more tedious than I initially thought it's be--I guess I never realized how much effort my teachers had to put in for such a simple letter. But by the end of it, I was excited to see how all the little aspects of Word that I often don't use, like borders and 2 column pages, came together into a pretty cohesive document.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal 9