Journal 1

A major influence for the teachers to integrate technology into the classroom is the NCLB Act because they're actually obligated to ensure their student are able to use certain technologies. However, I think they're influenced by how much more efficient and easy it is to use for teaching. By taking advantage of technology, teachers are able to communicate better with students and their parents, use a variety of different programs that touch on everyone's learning style, and plan their lessons more easily. Technology also allows students and teachers alike to a mass amount of information making it easier for both sides to educate themselves beyond the classroom.

As for students I think the majority of today's youth is drawn to technology and that's part of their influence to want to learn via technology. Due to multiple intelligences, students' desire to fulfill their way of learning also attracts them to technology because it offers the same information, but can be presented in a variety of ways. For example, the book mentions that developing higher-order thinking skills is hard to develop in children, but with the help of technology there are more solutions to support critical thinking. So I think the way technology appeals to all types of learning influences students to use it.

ISTE standards are important because I liked that it encouraged students to embrace the most creative and designing ideas versus only focusing on computing information. I particularly think the creative communicator is important because I've always found that ideas are useless if you can't share them and turn them into something more than an "idea". The standard that I find hard to meet is being a global collaborators because I like sharing my ideas and thoughts with like-minded students and my teachers, but reaching out to people I don't particularly know or have a connection too is hard for me.

For the most part I agree with the label that today's youth being called digital natives. Although the technology I used when I was 5 is clearly not the same as the technology I use now, I feel like it gave me experience and an understanding of how things like computers and phones work. My high school was a very technology driven school. We used both iMacs and iPads, so from my experience it was harder for most of my teachers to integrate these devices into their lesson plans or teaching style. I could definitely tell a difference between classes with younger teachers who were also digital natives and those who were older digital immigrants. It was easier to learn when the teacher new more about the technology and were confident in their teaching through the method. I felt like I gathered more information when we could learn the material instead of focusing on making sure the technology we used worked properly. I hope that this technology gap will not be as drastic in the future because most of the teachers will then be a digital native.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal 9